MassMutual Greater Hudson is committed to turning your dreams of financial success into reality. With offices throughout the Greater New York and New Jersey area, we have over 35 years of financial services experience working and serving our community. Along with our team of award-winning advisors, we are ready to provide comprehensive solutions to any of your financial problems.
Aside from servicing the financial needs of our clients, community involvement has and will always be an important part of our firm’s core values. We strongly believe that we are not only here to run a business, but to make a positive impact on the lives we touch and to make a difference in the communities we serve.
In aligning our actions with our values, we have established the MassMutual Greater Hudson Scholarship Award to benefit high school graduates who possess academic and social values we find important as a community centric organization. Our hope is to lessen the impact of financial obligations, to making their dreams of a college education more attainable.
“We are honored to give back to our communities in such a meaningful way.” as Derek Chan, Managing Partner of MassMutual Greater Hudson explains, “Education has always been one of the primary focus for the families we serve. We want to extend our warm congratulations to all the graduates and encourage each one to apply and take advantage of our great Scholarship Award. Let us be a part of your success story!”
MassMutual Greater Hudson Scholarship Award Guidelines:
MassMutual Greater Hudson Scholarship Award:
Top Award: $5,000 College education scholarship (1 award recipient)
Runner-Up Award: $2,500 College education scholarship (2 award recipients)
A total of $10,000 to be awarded!
MassMutual Greater Hudson Scholarship Applicant Eligibility:
- Applicant must be a resident of New York or New Jersey. (must be legal U.S. resident)
- Applicant must demonstrate financial need for college tuition and related expenses with supporting documents.
- Applicant must be a U.S. high school graduating senior or equivalent.
- Applicant must have a minimum 3.0 GPA or equivalent. (i.e. B average or 85 and above)
- Applicant will enroll in an accredited U.S. College full-time for the academic year of 2018-2019.
MassMutual Greater Hudson Scholarship Applicant Requirements:
1. A completed MassMutual Greater Hudson Scholarship application form.
MassMutual Greater Hudson Scholarship Application Form.pdf
MassMutual Greater Hudson Scholarship Application Checklist.pdf
2. A copy of one of the following documents demonstrating financial need (must include or show the name of the applicant):
- Family’s complete 2017 1040 U.S. Income Tax Return including all schedules, or
- Family’s complete 2016 1040 U.S. Income Tax Return including all schedules and most recent 2017 W-2 and/or 1099, or
- If 1040 statements are not available, please provide any official documentation from government agency indicating financial hardship.
*** Please black out all Social Security Numbers on all the financial documents for security purposes.
3. An autobiography (2 to 5 pages) explaining why you should be awarded a scholarship. Please include but not limited to the following: (Guideline: Times New Roman, 12 pt. font, 1 spacing)
- Reasons for your financial need and how you intend to use this educational scholarship if awarded to you
- Specific examples of your personal and academic achievements
- Specific goals pertaining to your academic and career paths
- Your past and current community involvement, as well as your future plans and aspirations toward making a difference in your community
4. An essay (2 to 3 pages) on the theme of Fiscal/Financial Responsibility:
- What does being “Financially Responsible” mean to you?
- What are some of the financial related situations or problems you have encountered? And How have you resolved them?
- What are some of the personal lessons you have learned on being Financially Responsible? Give examples
- In your opinion, how important is it to have financial education in schools? If so, please explain why
- What would be an innovative way to teach financial education and responsibility to today's youth?
5. An official High School Transcript
6. Two letters of recommendation from teachers, counselors, and/or other advisors.
7. A copy of Acceptance Letter from the College/University you are attending beginning Fall 2018
8. A cover page including applicants name, address, contact phone number, and email
MassMutual Greater Hudson Scholarship Application submission:
To submit your application, you may choose Mail-In or Drop off options:
Once all the required documents are completed and confirmed with the checklist, please proceed to mail your completed application packet to MassMutual Greater Hudson core agency office address below for application processing. An email will be send to you acknowledging receipt.
MassMutual Greater Hudson Scholarship Program
2nd Mott St, 9th FL
New York, NY 10013
Application Pick-up and Drop-off:
You may pick up a blank application at any of our 4 office locations below at your convenience to start the application process. Once completed, you may also Drop off your application packet to any of our 4 office locations before the deadline. (The completed application need to be properly enclosed at drop off)
Chinatown, NY Flushing, NY
2 Mott St, 9th FL 41-60 Main St, Suite 303
New York, NY 10013 Flushing, NY 11355
(212) 619-5420 (718) 762-5600
Mon-Fri 9:00am-6:00pm Mon-Fri 9:00am-6:00pm
Brooklyn, NY Edison, NJ
745 64th St, Suite 3L 2025 Lincoln Highway, Suite 140
Brooklyn, NY 11220 Edison, NJ 08817
(718) 833-3200 (732) 287-1219
Mon-Fri 9:00am-6:00pm Mon-Fri 9:00am-6:00pm
Kindly go over the checklist carefully to make sure you have all the required documents before mailing-in or dropping off your application. Only Fully Completed application packets will be considered. MassMutual Greater Hudson is not responsible for informing or notifying you of incomplete or missing required documents. If you discovered a mistake or missing documents, you may mail-in or drop off a fully completed replacement application packet before the deadline for consideration. Please do NOT mail in or drop off documents separately. The application submission deadline is Monday, May 28th, 2018. Application packet must be post marked or dropped off on or before the deadline for the application to be considered.
February 8th, 2018 Scholarship Application Open Enrollment
May 28th, 2018 Scholarship Application Submission Deadline
- Mailed-In application packet must be postmarked on or before May 28th, 2018 to be considered.
- Drop off application packet must be received on or before May 28th, 2018 at each of our 4 office locations to be considered.
- Only complete applications including all required documents will be considered.
***The deadline is subject to change at MassMutual Greater Hudson’s discretion
June 22nd, 2018 Announcement of Scholarship Award Recipients
July 2018 MassMutual Greater Hudson Scholarship Award Ceremony (Exact date to be announced)
In 2017, MassMutual conducted and presented an insightful College Planning and Savings Study. We would like to provide you with some resources, so you are better informed about the study findings. Kindly refer to following links and related articles for more information:
For Study Findings, please visit:
College Planning: Dreams, Challenges – and a path forward
8/15/17 – Why Age 5 is a Tipping Point for College Savings – 5 Tips from MassMutual to Help Families Today
7/6/17 – Most Determined, Least Informed: The Paradox of Chinese American Behavior Towards Children’s College Education Saving and Funding
7/6/17 – Chinese Version: Most Determined, Least Informed: The Paradox of Chinese American Behavior Towards Children’s College Education Saving and Funding
7/6/17 – Most hopeful, Least Prepared: The Dilemma of Korean American Behavior toward Children’s College Education Saving and Funding
7/6/17 – Korean Version: Most hopeful, Least Prepared: The Dilemma of Korean American Behavior toward Children’s College Education Saving and Funding
6/16/17 – Latino Parents are Against Children Taking on Student Loans and Debt According to MassMutual’s College Planning and Savings Study
6/16/17 – African American Families Rely on Resourcefulness to Pay for College According to MassMutual’s College Planning and Saving Study
6/16/17 – Paying for a Child’s Education is a Top Financial Priority for Asian Indian Parents According to MassMutual’s College Planning and Savings Study
6/16/17 – MassMutual’s College Planning and Saving Study Reveals that Culture Drives Unique Motivations and Behaviors
Disclaimer: This scholarship award is not open to any MassMutual or subsidiary, agency associated employees, brokers and immediate family members. Limit one entry per person.
MassMutual is a marketing name for Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual) and its affiliated companies and sales representatives. Local sales agencies are not subsidiaries of MassMutual or its affiliated companies. Agency officers are not officers of MassMutual. Financial Services Representatives are independent contractors and are not employees of MassMutual, its subsidiaries, or of General Agents with whom they contract.